English Learner Advisory Committee
English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) 1-EL2
Whenever 21 or more English Learners are enrolled at a school site, the site must have a functioning ELAC (VI-EL 9a). Parents of ELs should constitute membership in at least the same percentage, as there are EL students at the school (EC 62002.5,52176[b]). All parents of ELs will be notified and have the opportunity to elect the parent members of the school advisory committee (5 CCR 11308[b]; EC 62002.5).
2015-2016 scheduled meetings: November, February and May (exact dates TBD)
Responsibilities of ELAC:
- Advise the principal and staff on the development of the school plan for English Learners submitted to the governing board (EC 62002.5, 52176[c]).
- Advise the school site council (SSC) on the development of the Single School Plan for Student Achievement (EC 64001[a]).
- Assist in the development of the school needs assessment, language census, and ways to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance (EC 62002.5, 52176[c]).
- Meet at least three times during the year.
- Have an election of members in which all parents of English Learners have had an opportunity to vote.
- Have the opportunity to elect at least one member to the District English Learner Committee (DELAC) (5 CCR 11308[b]).
- District will provide appropriate training and materials to assist parent members in carrying out their responsibilities (EC35147[c]; 5 CCR 11308[d]).
- Seek advice from the parents in order to design and implement an effort to bring more families into the schools, to improve relations, and to create an atmosphere of trust and communication between home and school. (UCD recommendation 13).
- It is the responsibility of the school principal with the help of the EL Staff to recruit and maintain membership for the ELAC and to keep all records, minutes, notification, and rosters of membership.
Please contact Wendy Allen, our EL Specialist at email@example.com for more information.